Are you afraid of your dental treatment??
* Intravenous Conscious Sedation or sleep dentistry is when a drug is administered through IV during dental treatment. You will feel sleepy, time passes like a magical hours and by the time you wake up, everything is done.. It produces a feeling of not being bothered by what’s going on.
* Time will appear to pass very quickly to the patient and he/she will not recall much of what happened during the procedure. Once you’re awake, you will be absolutely out of anxiety and pain.
Who benefits from sleep dentistry?
- Fear of dental treatment/ dentist ( dental phobia)
- Who gag easily
- Difficulty in getting numb
- Complex surgeries needs longer time
Will I be conscious ?
Yes.. You will be conscious and able to understand and respond. But may not remember much about what went on during procedure because it induces a state of deep relaxation.
Do I need to undergo Local Anesthesia though I’m under IV Sedation?
The drug which is used for IV Sedation is generally to put you asleep from fear and anxiety and not a anesthetic drug. You will be numbed under STA(single tooth anesthesia) in which the local anesthesia will be achieved without any pain during your magical sleep hours.
Medicines & different type of IV sedation
Mostly, the drug used for IV sedation is a short acting benzodiazepine, commonly know as reduce anxiety and /relax you. It makes you sleepy and it put you in a amnesia condition (make you forget what happened during the procedure).